Affordable, safe housing is one of the most crucial aspects of a person’s life, especially if that person has a disability. Parents and guardians must plan for this as early as possible to make sure their loved one has a secure and appropriate living situation long after they either become unable to provide care or pass away. Here are some general considerations to keep in mind when formulating a plan. The plan that works best for your family should be affordable in the long term and best suited to your loved one’s disability. 

Housing options 

You may be caring for your special needs child at home, where are no additional costs for residency, and the setting is safe and familiar. But in most cases, this is not a permanent solution. Inevitably, as parents and guardians age or develop health problems, they will not be able to provide the supervision and care needed. Bringing in around-the-clock home health care may not be affordable. 

For people with intellectual or developmental disabilities (IDD), there is an increasing movement away from private or state-run institutions and toward community care. This encompasses a great number of programs, from treatment provided in group homes to interaction with a social worker to job training and other vocational training centers. One of the programs on the cutting edge of community mental health is called “supportive housing,” and it incorporates not only housing, but social services and medical care as well. 

Accessory Dwelling Units are another alternative that both provide people with disabilities independence while keeping them close to family and support. To learn more, read our article Accessory Dwelling Units Promote Independence Near Family

Your city or state may have supportive housing programs. Providers of supportive housing are typically non-profit organizations that contract with federal, state, or tribal governments to provide the housing and services that were formerly provided in institutional settings. 

The ARC, a nonprofit advocacy program for adults with IDD, offers an online planning tool that provides insight on a host of issues, including finding accommodation, getting a job, and securing special services. 

Private Pay 

Privately paying for housing may be an option for some families. One strategy is to set up a special needs trusts (SNT) to set money aside without compromising a disabled family member’s access to government benefits. 

A special needs trust can also be funded by life insurance for the parents or guardians, if they qualify. Even term insurance will provide protection and immediate cash in the event that a parent dies unexpectedly. Other assets, such as the proceeds from the sale of the family home, can be set aside in an SNT to pay for a loved one’s care and support into the future. 

Accessible Vehicle Adaptations

Having access to transportation is another important consideration for those with disabilities. Read our article Available Grants and Loans for Accessible Vehicle Adaptations to learn more.

Do it right—and don’t wait 

The best plan is to start early and not wait until the aging parents are unable to care for their disabled child. 

Failing to put a plan in place can lead to trauma and stress for the family if something unexpected happens in the meantime. Avoid scrambling to find the best solution for your loved one’s housing.  

Our firm has the experience, understanding, and compassion to provide invaluable insight to help families make decisions with the best interest of their loved ones in mind. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help.